Experience "The West's Best Short Whitewater Trip," as named by National Geographic magazine. Westwater Canyon is a spirited oar-powered and paddleboat trip* on the Colorado River. Guides expertly row through exciting waves and swirling pools dwarfed by stunningly beautiful and unique black, gold and red canyon walls. Hikes to historic cabins, mysterious caves, and Indian petroglyphs punctuate the river's course. Rapids such as Funnel Falls, Skull Rapid and Sock-it-to-Me provide plenty of excitement while calmer waters on the first and last part of the river offer a nice balance to the perfect day trip.
*Note: Water levels through Westwater Canyon do fluctuate throughout the year, providing varying levels of whitewater intensity based on the time selected. Use of paddle boats may depend on water levels. We reserve the right to not use paddle boats at certain water levels.
- Exciting class III and IV rated whitewater
- Great mix of whitewater action and unique scenery
- Permitted section of the river. Only a few lucky ones get to experience every year.
- Professional guides
- Transportation to the river and back to Moab
- Life jacket and helmet.
- Lunch, snacks and drinks
What to Bring
- Plenty of sunscreen
- Retention device for your sunglasses
- A small day pack to carry your personal items
- A waterproof camera, or a cell phone or camera in a protective casing.
If you are pregnant, you will not be permitted to go rafting. Our trips take place in remote wilderness settings where access to advanced medical care can be hours away (possibly overnight), and conditions such as extreme heat and vigorous activity can amplify the discomfort and aggravate any known or unknown conditions. Please remember that, you will not always be pregnant, but the river will always be here. We do not believe it is worth the risk, no matter how early you are in your pregnancy. We think moms are special and hope you understand. If you become pregnant after already having a reservation, please contact our office and we’ll arrange a full refund of your trip fare.
- Trip departs promptly at 7:45 AM from the Moab Adventure Center
- Drive approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes to the launch site
- Enjoy the incredible scenery, hike and visit unique sites along the river. Smile.
- Lunch is served at the discretion of the tour leader
- Guides will give you safety instructions and prepare you for the action ahead.
- Paddle, hang on, and enjoy approximately 10 major rapids.
- Don't forget to smile.
- After floating for a little longer, you will arrive at the take out point.
- Drive back to Moab is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Arrive in Moab between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM